On Thursday, approximately 10AM UTC, we'll be performing our MediaWiki 1.34 deployment. Please expect some downtime, we apologise in advance for any inconvenience!
Global Marijuana March 1999
|Facebook. Cannabis March & 420.|
See closed GMM group (only members see posts in closed groups). For the rest of the world see the yearly GMM-420 lists (2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, etc.). They list some of the many other GMM and 420 Facebook pages and groups from around the world. See also: Global Marijuana March and 4/20 signup.
31 cities signed up for the Saturday, May 1, 1999 Global Marijuana March.
For global reports by year see:
|1999 Million Marijuana March posters, flyers, and banners.|
The Global Marijuana March (GMM) is also known as the Million Marijuana March (MMM), and Global Cannabis March (GCM). Other names, and associated events (some have been around longer than GCM): World Cannabis Day, Cannabis Liberation Day, Cannabis Parade, Ganja Day, J Day, MardiGrass, etc.. GMM occurs on the first Saturday in May, or thereabouts, depending on the city and country. It began in 1999. See New York City, Dana Beal, and Wikipedia: Global Marijuana March. It may include marches, meetings, rallies, raves, concerts, festivals, information tables, and more. The six main demands: stop all cannabis arrests; stop the lies; release the medicine; heal the sick; end the prison state; Cures Not Wars. See ibogaine. And Facebook: Ibogaine Universe!!!! See for many links for , reports, , videos, , press/media, , etc.. See flat lists. See GMM Facebook. See Archive.org to find archived reports by entering the URL. See report compilations: 420 and Global Marijuana March event lists by year. See also: Wikipedia: Legality of cannabis by country. Please let us know of missing cities for any year: Talk.
MMM 1999 city list
31 cities worldwide for the first international Million Marijuana March on May 1, 1999!
- Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
- Amarillo, Texas, USA
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Austin, Texas, USA
- Burlington, Vermont, USA
- Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
- Eureka, California, USA
- Houston, Texas, USA
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- London, England, UK
- Los Angeles, California, USA
- Madison, Wisconsin, USA
- Melbourne, Australia
- Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- New York City, New York, USA
- Nimbin, Australia
- Oslo, Norway
- Prague, Czech Republic
- San Francisco, California, USA
- Seattle, Washington, USA
- Tampa, Florida, USA
- Tel Aviv, Israel
- Tucson, Arizona, USA
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Washington, District of Columbia, USA
- Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Sources for city list
The 31 cities were compiled from several articles and reports:
- Smoke and Jeers. Million Marijuana March Protests NYC's Record-High Pot Arrests. And: another archive. By Jennifer Gonnerman. The Village Voice. See another archive (partial). Article also mentions Prague, Czech Republic. And Winnipeg, Canada.
1999 MMM. High Times article lists 25 cities:
1999 MMM. FoM (of CannabisNews.com) compiled many reports from cities worldwide. Also, reports for additional cities not found on other 1999 city lists. Such as for Amarillo, Detroit, Eureka, and Houston:
- freedomtoexhale.com/mmm99.htm - Feb 22, 2003 archive and Feb 6, 2012 archive. See index of all archives by date.
1999 MMM article. Another city mentioned: Tel Aviv.
1999 MMM rally reports, photos, etc
Google search of CannabisNews.com -- Note that the MMM phrase or the year may be from a comment, and not from the article itself.
New York City. Comments and many photos. Click links for pages 1 through 7 at the bottom of the left column.
High Times article.
London and around the world. Rally reports.
- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mmmreports/message/28 and
- http://web.archive.org/web/*/*http://www.schmoo.co.uk/london.htm and
- http://web.archive.org/web/*/*http://www.schmoo.co.uk/cannabis/london.htm and
- http://web.archive.org/web/20000306041738/www.schmoo.co.uk/webcam.htm -Panorama photo.
Seattle, Washington, USA. Over the day 4000 people marched and/or rallied.
- Report: http://cannabisnews.com/news/1/thread1294.shtml
- Video: http://www.crrh.org/hemptv/misc_smmm.html