Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Share link: Chicago
|News. - 2018 global events.2017.|
|See: More news. Archive. News sources. Facebook: Global Marijuana March . Hashtags: . Twitter: .
. Bring back democracy: And:
- 1 Top
- 2 2014
- 3 Links
- 4 City info
- 5 Global Marijuana March
- 6 2013
- 7 2012
- 8 2010
- 9 2009
- 10 2008
- 11 2006
- 12 Cannabis is safer
- 13 Presidents alone can not reschedule it
- 14 USA. Republican-led war on cannabis
- 15 Drug war, mass incarceration, control
- 16 Felon disenfranchisement & gerrymandering
- 17 Republican-led big spending on drug war
- 18 GOP-led spending on endless ground wars
- 19 U.S. infrastructure badly needs this money
- 20 U.S. household debt at all time high
- 21 U.S. middle class wealth has collapsed
- 22 Canadian middle class has surpassed USA
- 23 Many nations surpassed US middle class
- 24 USA. Richest 10% Own 84% of All Stocks
- 25 Republicans refuse to raise minimum wage
- 26 Green love
- 27 Canada has universal healthcare
- 28 Canada has single payer healthcare
- 29 Canadian healthcare costs much less
- 30 Half the cost of Obama-Trumpcare
- 31 USA could save $1.6 trillion YEARLY
- 32 Canada has better health outcomes
- 33 Each 10 million US uninsured equals
- 34 10,000 more deaths yearly. Also:
- 35 10,000 die waiting for disability yearly
- 36 Portugal has universal healthcare
- 37 Portugal decriminalized all drugs
- 38 Portugal has drug treatment for all
- 39 In Portugal few die of overdoses
- 40 Remove Republicans in 2018 vote
- 41 Categories
- Facebook: 2014 Global Cannabis March - Chicago.
- Chicago 2014 Global Cannabis March coming to Daley Plaza Saturday May 3.
- Celebrating Progress On Medicinal Marijuana In Illinois | Progress Illinois. 
- Category: Cannabis-related links. For nation, state, or province links.
- Illinois. Cannabis-related links
- Find more Facebook and other links in the above-linked pages.
- illinoisnorml.org and Events.
- Google Maps: Chicago.
- Google images: Chicago.
- Wikipedia: Chicago.
- Wikitravel: Chicago.
- Wikivoyage: Chicago.
- WeBeHigh.org - Chicago.
- MarijuanaTravels.com - Cities and countries. And Google site search.
Global Marijuana March
GMM (years signed up). (The city search of basic city lists will not find 2015, 2016, or 2017 cities since the 2015-17 GMM-420 pages list only countries, and not cities). This city, nation, or subnational area participated or signed up one year (or more) for the Global Marijuana March (GMM), Million Marijuana March (MMM), or 420. Cities and nations holding 4/20 events are also included in later years. 40 nations participated on May 6, 2017, or thereabouts. 41 nations participated on May 7, 2016, or thereabouts. 43 nations participated on May 2, 2015, or thereabouts. 212 cities from 42 nations signed up for May 3, 2014 or thereabouts. 225 cities from 42 nations signed up for May 4, 2013 or thereabouts. 891 different cities have participated from 81 different nations or subnational areas since 1999.
|Global Marijuana March and 4/20 signup.|
See Global Marijuana March (GMM) is the first Saturday in May or thereabouts.The
There are many GMM and 420 Facebook pages organizing cities and countries for GMM and 4/20. Search Facebook and Google+. Find more people, groups, and organizations via the GMM links box (many links in one place), and the GMM links page.
Share link: signup. Invite people to GMM and 420 events: Tag some of your friends in comments on relevant Facebook event messages and images.
GMM, May 4:
- Facebook: Global Cannabis March - Chicago.
- Friday to Monday May 15 - 18, 2009 in Charleston, Illinois. Court support events, marches, and more.
- Chicago: Richey richey.gupta(at)gmail.com 847-275-0473 . or Dan Linn danlinn(at)illinoisnorml.org 847 341 0591 Federal Plaza Saturday, May 2nd (at) NOON.
- Link: http://antidote.50megs.com/html/chicago.htm
- Blog with Youtube video
- Participants marched with police escorts through the city, displaying signs, singing, dancing and chanting in peaceful protest.
Chicago: Richey richey.gupta(at)gmail.com 847-275-0473 . or Dan Linn danlinn(at)illinoisnorml.org 847 341 0591 200 people in '07, 40 marching. Federal Plaza Saturday, May 3rd (at) NOON.
- Link: http://www.illinoisnorml.org
- Report (from old GMM site):
After spending a lot of the last two weeks helping promote the Global Marijuana March event from word I was getting out of Chicago, on may 5, at 2:15 in the afternoon I hopped on a Trialways bus head for the Chi-town in what would be over six an half hour bus trip one way.
I had a two hour lay-over in Bloomington, Illinois so I pulled out my lil CD player and we listen to the Individuals Something To Smoke To CD, talked, partied while waiting on the bus from Bloomington to Chicago.
I'm starting to feel good about this trip thinking it is Chicago we should draw 100 maybe 300 people out. I would have never have guessed the weekend was going to be a nightmare.
My bus arrives in Chicago at 8:35 Friday night; Richey was there to pick me up just as he said he would be. I put my bags into the trunk of Richey's car, and we were off to Windy Allen's place. This is where the nightmare begins!
Richey forgets, but that’s OK, Windy will have some when we get there. She did and that was the best thing about the first night in Chicago.
We pull up to Windy's house, and I get my bags out of Richey car while he calls Windy on his cell phone so she will come out and let us in her place. Windy lives in a basement room, she offered me a spot on her floor about a week ago and I excepted, thinking it would be a swept floor, I was wrong. Windy comes out to meet us we chat for a lil, and she invites us in. Richey said, he had to be going, but before leaving we talked more about Richey coming back the next morning to pick us up before the march. We all agreed on between 9:30 and 10:00 in the morning before Richey takes off for the night.
Windy and I headed into her one room basement apartment. Books and papers flung around the room, and in Windy's words the counters are somewhat clean. Now I'm a lil upset with Richey for dropping me off at this place. I would have stayed at the bus station, it was cleaner (I found out later Richey had never been in her apt.). I put my bags on a chair and Windy ask if I want anything to eat or drink. I didn't want anything but she was persistent so I said I would drink some coffee.
She picked up a jar of water next to several other jars of water dump out some of the water added a couple spoonfuls of coffee and stuck it in the microwave. I sit the coffee down never touching it or drinking a drop of it.
I finally got Windy to go out to the van and medicate before I had to try and sleep on that floor.
Windy was in charge of finding a sound system or bullhorn from the way she talked. She said she would pick-up a bullhorn on the way to the march in the morning.
I woke up with a killer backache from sleeping on the floor. Richey got there at 10:00 because of Windy dragging ass we didn't leave her place until after 11:00 and she had us running here and there before we even headed to pick up a bullhorn for the march.
Windy was in Radio Shack for over ten minutes telling Richey on the Cell phone she was getting the bullhorn while we was double parked in the street waiting for her. When Windy does return it is without a bullhorn. So now no sound system or bullhorn at the event.
We pull up in front of the Federal Plaza at 12:10 there was a small group of people that showed up for the march and there were just as many policemen.
I got out of Richey car a lil disgusted about the show in people and the big show of law enforcement.
My bag was heavy and I walked right past the small group that had gathered already so I could sit me bag down. I didn't get a chance to thank that group of people for coming out, before they took off.
I'm sure the show in law enforcement detoured some from gathering with us.
As the day went on we had a few stand with us, but never having 15 or more people at onetime there nor did anyone carry any signs. Even I was guilty of not bringing my own sign, no jail for pot, and I gave my Free the Vancouver 3 to the Individuals because I didn't want to carry it back from the Smoke Out protest last year in Chicago, The cop's dwindled as an hour or so pasted to one police officer and one paddy wagon.
Here I want to plug I believe it was Channel 7 in Chicago. They didn't cover us, but they did come out with I camera truck. They went bye, went around the block and bye us again. They were there to cover it if more people would have showed up.
At 3:00 in the afternoon Richey was ready to go when it was down to four or five of us. Dan Lynn from NORML, Richey of Lokal 420 Jason of US Marijuana Party of Illinois and I.
Richey and I took Wendy to her van dropped her off. We head to the bus station. I got the next ticket to Peoria which would be 7:00am the next morning.
Now I have to spend the night at the bus station. I let Richey know that I would have to hang around the bus station all day and night.
Richey called a buddy, the next thing I knew we were headed for a college party. Oh to be young again, the drinking games they come up with, and drinking out of the keg as you are upside down. Oh what fun they have! But there was not much open smoking of marijuana.
I know free beer will get people to events and rallies, and it did remind me that I'm not a young man anymore.
Richey took me back to the bus station around 11:00pm it would be another eight hours before I would be heading home and another 12 hours before I would be home.
I want to thank the ones that showed up, well you know the saying '---- the rest of you'.
Richey got some video with my cam, not sure what's on it yet but will have it up in a day or two.
On behalf of the ones that were to organize this event in Chicago, sorry.
They say if it doesn't play in Peoria, it won't play anywhere. Well next year a Global Marijuana March will play in Peoria!
US Marijuana Party
Cannabis is safer
|Ronald Reagan, 1980 campaign speech 1: "Leading medical researchers are coming to the conclusion that , whatever you want to call it, is probably , and we haven't begun to find out all of the ill effects, but they are permanent ill effects. The loss of memory for example."|
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
Presidents alone can not reschedule it
- See main article: Presidents alone can not reschedule marijuana.
Neither the president nor the Attorney General can reschedule marijuana by themselves.  . The two of them together also can not do so. See Wikipedia: Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act. See "Process" section.
Since HHS (Health and Human Services) and the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) have again declined to reschedule or deschedule cannabis, then only Congress can do so. But Congress removed help for veterans: . And Congressional committee leaders refuse hearings on CARERS bill to reschedule cannabis. See: Medical Marijuana Advocates Rally to Loosen Restrictions. By Alicia Ault. 23 Mar 2016. Medscape.
- Wikipedia: Drug Enforcement Administration. See "Criticism" section.
- DEA Removes Marijuana Misinformation From Website After Months of Pressure. By Steve Elliott. Feb 13, 2017.
- DEA Pulls Back From Calling Marijuana One Of The 'Most Dangerous Drugs'. By Cody Fenwick. August 16, 2016. Patch Media
- The Science behind the DEA's Long War on Marijuana. 19 April 2016. Scientific American. Unless Congress acts, the DEA has final say on rescheduling or descheduling marijuana.
- Pot Matters: For Legalization, Set Your Sights on the Senate. 23 Mar 2016. By Jon Gettman. "it will be helpful, and indeed crucial, for advancing legalization for Democrats to take control of the Senate." Maybe in 2018?
- FDA Weighs in on Rescheduling Cannabis. By Ben Adlin. 28 Dec 2015. Leafly.
USA. Republican-led war on cannabis
The Cannabis War is over and the U.S. Republican Party has lost. They may not know it yet, so keep marching, lobbying, and voting! Please register and vote! See: Reagan's War on Cannabis. And: Drug war, control, and Republican-led income inequality. And: Alternatives to Republican-led mass incarceration.
New Mexico's Republican governor vetoes a bill that would have allowed medical marijuana for opioid addiction. April 7, 2017. And: New Mexico's Republican governor vetoes the 911 Good Samaritan Overdose Prevention Bill. April 7, 2017. And: Idaho's Republican governor vetoes a broadly-supported asset forfeiture reform bill. April 7, 2017.Jan. 29, 2018. And:
- Missouri's Republican governor signs state law lowering St. Louis minimum wage. . July 3, 2017. And: Iowa's Republican governor signs law overturning local minimum wage increases. March 30, 2017.
Drug war, mass incarceration, control
|See: Drug war, control, and Republican-led income inequality. And: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. And: Drug War, mandatory minimum sentencing, handguns. And: US incarceration peaked in 2008. And: Number of marijuana prisoners in the USA. And: List of countries and U.S. states by incarceration rate.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation b c (except for the tiny country of the Seychelles). Compare incarceration rates worldwide. The cost of the U.S. drug war is at least 1.5 trillion dollars. Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
|A Lot Of People Are Dying At This Understaffed Texas Jail. And: How the Money Bail System Perpetuates America’s Mass Incarceration Problem. 2.3. Jail costs a lot more than unpaid fines. Use community service instead, and save tax money on jail and janitorial work. And: Justice Department blasts ‘unconstitutional’ fixed bail schedules. Many innocent people in jail. And: Many marijuana users in jail without bail money. And: Senator Kamela Harris push for bail reform.|
|Rundle Won't Charge Prison Guards Who Allegedly Boiled Schizophrenic Black Man to Death for 2 Hours in Shower. Death Ruled An Accident. Documents Show They Omitted Key Details. Florida inmate in for cocaine possession. 2345. Due to lack of single-payer universal healthcare the mentally ill end up incarcerated and untreated. Prison costs far more than caring for them to begin with. For their non-violent offenses three-quarters of Americans favor ‘rehabilitation’ over jail time, survey finds. |
Felon disenfranchisement & gerrymandering
Republican-led big spending on drug war
GOP-led spending on endless ground wars
U.S. infrastructure badly needs this money
- America's infrastructure is falling apart — here's a look at how bad things have gotten By Cadie Thompson. Feb. 12, 2018. Business Insider.
- More than 50,000 American bridges are falling apart. Jan. 29, 2018, by Conor Ferguson. NBC News.
U.S. household debt at all time high
Black upward-pointing line is student debt. Cumulative percent increase over time:
U.S. middle class wealth has collapsed
- Income Inequality Is At The Highest Level In American History. By Bryce Covert. July 1, 2016. ThinkProgress. "Incomes for the 99 percent have only recovered about 60 percent of what they lost. But the rich are doing great. ... They captured more than half of all the income growth in the country."
Canadian middle class has surpassed USA
The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest. Canada passes US in middle-class wealth. Median after-tax middle-class income in Canada is higher. . By David Leonhardt and Kevin Quealy. April 22, 2014. New York Times. Why? One reason is that Canadians pay so much less for far better healthcare. And:
Many nations surpassed US middle class
See Median wealth is exactly in the middle. 50% of adults have more, and 50% of adults have less. Wealth is all assets (money, stocks, property, etc.) minus all debts.
Tables - Credit Suisse. Scroll down to XLS links. Download the Complete Wealth per Adult Data by Country for 2016 and 2017 (XLS). This was used to create the table to the right. This is only part of the table. See also: Commons:Convert tables and charts to wiki code or image files. Note that USA is number 24 in median wealth per adult in the table below. Canada is number 13.
USA. Richest 10% Own 84% of All Stocks
- The Richest 10% of Americans Now Own 84% of All Stocks. Dec. 19, 2017. Time (magazine). "The top 10% of American households, as defined by total wealth, now own 84% of all stocks in 2016, according to a recent paper by NYU economist Edward N. Wolff."
- Oxfam: 42 Billionaires Hold As Much Wealth As World’s Poorest 3.7 Billion. By Mary Papenfuss. Jan. 22, 2108. HuffPost.
Republicans refuse to raise minimum wage
- Republicans in several states are lowering the minimum wage — yes, you read that right. By Matthew Sheffield. July 9, 2017. Salon.
- Abortion Rates Dropped Sharply. What Caused It?
- Free birth control under ObamaCare.
- Colorado’s Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success. Free birth control.
|Republicans think they can spend an infinite amount of money on private-health-insurance-company-based healthcare, and have an , to feed their appetite for , and for more inmates for more prisons for|
|Wikipedia: Population milestone babies.|
|As with cannabis legalization Colorado led the way.. More info. 2.3..|
Canada has universal healthcare
Canada has single payer healthcare
- See: Canadian single-payer universal healthcare versus US healthcare. And: End drug war with universal healthcare. And: Canadian single-payer healthcare and Portuguese drug decriminalization.
|USA spent $3.2 trillion on healthcare in 2016. (2.3.4.). Canada spent half as much per person, and got better outcomes. Polls: Americans want single payer, and $1.6 trillion saved yearly. (188.8.131.52.6.)|
Canada has better health outcomes
- See health outcomes info: Canadian single-payer universal healthcare versus US healthcare.
||Life expectancy. 2015||Under-five mortality rate. 2016||Healthcare cost per person. (2). (US dollars. PPP)||Murder rate per 100,000. 2015|
|Canada||82.2 years. (2)||4.9 per 1000 births.||1.7|
|USA||79.3 years. (2)||6.5 per 1000 births.||4.9|
|Murder rate in Canada is lower due to far less handgun ownership.|
Average per capita healthcare cost in above chart includes all costs public and private. No deductibles on basic Canadian health care, and co-pays are extremely low or non-existent. And:
Canada passes US in middle-class wealth. Median after-tax middle-class income in Canada is higher. . Why? Canadians pay so much less for far better healthcare. And:
This massive wasteful healthcare spending in the USA (compared to other rich nations) accelerated in 1980 (see chart below). How? It happened because non-profit health insurance was taken over by for-profit health insurance companies. They get a cut of all wasteful healthcare spending. The more wasteful, the more profits. Such as exorbitant drug pricing, expensive medical devices, overuse of emergency rooms. It is similar to how for-profit prison companies have an incentive to fill more beds, rather than rehabilitate prisoners.
Non-profit health insurance, and single payer healthcare, do not have these perverse incentives. So they tend to use more early preventive care that requires far fewer expensive drugs, devices, and visits to the emergency room and urgent care. Healthcare, like roads, should be publicly financed, and privately built. Private health insurance, like private toll road companies, are a kind of middleman mafia that skims profits, and shuffles papers, but don't actually do any real work.
Chart below shows the percentage of the GDP (national economy) spent on all healthcare costs (public and private) by year for some countries. Note that around 1980 US healthcare costs skyrocketed compared to other rich countries (all of which have universal healthcare, unlike the USA).
Source for above chart: Are any conservatives in the US for a single payer and a universal health care system, or can they not coexist? Chart is from comment around March 11, 2017 by Dan Munro, "author of Casino Healthcare, and Forbes contributor".
Each 10 million US uninsured equals
10,000 more deaths yearly. Also:
- Bernie Sanders' projection of 'thousands' of deaths from lost health coverage is well-supported. By Louis Jacobson. June 27, 2017. Politifact. See article sidebar for many sources. .
10,000 die waiting for disability yearly
- 10,000 people died waiting for a disability decision in the past year. Will he be next? By Terrence McCoy. Nov. 20, 2017. Washington Post. "10,000 people died in the past year while stuck in a backlog of judges’ disability cases. ... they can’t work while they wait if they want to be approved."
With Single-Payer Universal Healthcare people get healthcare no matter how much they work or not. And it doesn't matter if they lose their job, or change employers. People don't have to show they are totally disabled to get adequate healthcare. People can try to work now and then as much as their disability allows them, and not lose their healthcare. And they get drug treatment on demand if their pill use gets out of hand.
Portugal has universal healthcare
Portugal decriminalized all drugs
Portugal has drug treatment for all
- See: Canadian single-payer universal healthcare versus US healthcare. And: Canadian single-payer healthcare and Portuguese drug decriminalization. And:
Portugal has decriminalized all drugs. Like Canada it has universal healthcare. See: Portugal. Cannabis-related links. See: Wikipedia: Drug policy of Portugal and Wikipedia: Health in Portugal. Nearly all of the European Union (EU) has universal healthcare. . See: List of countries with universal health care.
2015 article by Chris Ingraham. Chart below is from the article. As is the quote below:
In 2016 the USA had 185 overdose deaths per million people. <~~ See chart in article, and a similar chart below.
- Overdose stats for the rest of the world.
- Wikipedia charts: Drug-related death statistics. See the upload page.
- Overdose Death Rates. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). Charts.
- These Are the Drugs That Cause the Most Overdose Deaths. Chart.
- Our nation’s drug overdose problem, in five bleak charts.
- How the opioid epidemic became America’s worst drug crisis ever, in 15 maps and charts.
Remove Republicans in 2018 vote
- See also: Republican-led Drug War. And: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. And: Alternatives to Republican-led mass incarceration. And: Cost of Republican-led U.S. drug war. And: Reagan's war on cannabis.And: Drug war, control, and Republican-led income inequality.
When Active-Duty Service Members Struggle To Feed Their Families. April 19, 2017. NPR.
Dec. 19, 2017 article.
|Republican tax bill hurts the poor more than originally thought, Congressional Budget Office finds.||"By 2019, Americans earning less than $30,000 a year would be worse off under the Senate bill, CBO found. By 2021, Americans earning $40,000 or less would be net losers, and by 2027, most people earning less than $75,000 a year would be worse off. On the flip side, millionaires and those earning $100,000 to $500,000 would be big beneficiaries".|
|2 polls: Only 29% of Americans approve of Republican tax plan. 2.|
Dec. 17, 2017. New York Times.
|A or F? How Congress scores on marijuana. 2. By Danielle Keane, NORML political director. 2016. "Of the 233 Democrats in Congress, 208 members (89.3 percent) received a passing grade of a 'C' or higher. Of the 302 Republicans in Congress, 102 members (33.8 percent) received a passing grade of a 'C' or higher." For your state see: Congressional Scorecard. NORML. Grading was based upon members' voting records.|
||Life expectancy (years). 2015||Under-five mortality rate per 1000 live births. 2016||Maternal mortality rate per 100,000 live births. 2015||Per capita expenditure on health. Public and private costs. USD - PPP. 2016||Healthcare costs as a percent of GDP. 2016||% of health costs paid by government. 2016|
|1.||2.||3. 4. 5.||6.||7. 8.||9. 10.|
|See National Public Radio covering this? Why aren't All Things Considered?. Why isn't|
Independents greatly outnumber Democrats or Republicans in the USA. If anti-cannabis Republicans are to be voted out of power, then all Democrat primaries need to be opened to independents. See Wikipedia: Open primaries in the United States. And: Wikipedia: Blanket primary. And: Wikipedia: Nonpartisan blanket primary.
|USA spent $3.2 trillion on healthcare in 2016. (2.3.4.). Canada spent half as much per person, and got better outcomes. Polls: Americans want single payer, and $1.6 trillion saved yearly. (184.108.40.206.6.)|