History and roots of 420 in cannabis culture and activism
Share link: 420history.
See also: 420 and Global Cannabis March event lists by year.
History of 420
- Wikipedia: 420 (cannabis culture).
- 420 Waldos, 4/20 Origin, Four Twenty. 420waldos.com
- See 420 event graphics and 420 featured crowd photos.
- 420: Birth of a Stoner Notion. By Steve Bloom. April 20, 2020.
- Huffington Post articles:
- 420 Meaning: The True Story Of How April 20 Became ‘Weed Day’. By Ryan Grim. April 20, 2010. Updated April 21, 2017.
- 4/20: How ‘Weed Day’ Got Its Name. By Ryan Grim. April 20, 2012.
- Here’s Everything You Need To Know About Why We Celebrate Weed On 4/20. By Ryan Grim. April 20, 2015.
- A Big Mystery Involving The Origin Of 4/20 Has Finally Been Solved. By Mollie Reilly. April 20, 2016. Updated Jan. 5, 2017.
- The Long, Strange History of 4/20, the Global Cannabis Holiday. By David Bienenstock. April 18, 2018. At Leafly.
- 4/20: The Definitive History of Cannabis’s Biggest Day of the Year. April 18, 2016. At Leafly.
- The history of 420, in Three Acts. April 2015. Freedom Leaf Magazine.
- 420 Meaning: The Very Odd Beginnings Of Marijuana’s Global Holiday. By Joel Warner. April 19, 2016. International Business Times.
- What the Guys Who Coined '420' Think About Their Place in Marijuana History. By Olivia B. Waxman. Apr 19, 2017. Time magazine.
- Google search: 420 site:cannabisculture.com in Cannabis Culture magazine online.
Some Waldos, and the 420 flag. Created in San Rafael, California in 1971. The original 420 batik flag was created by Patty Young. See Wikipedia: batik. She is holding the flag in the photo. Along with some Waldos. She created it in 1971 according to the 2012 article linked first below. The photo is from that article too.
- 4/20: How ‘Weed Day’ Got Its Name. Apr 20, 2012. By Ryan Grim. Huffington Post.
- Proof of 420's Origin, Four Twenty Meaning. Documented proof. A 420waldos.com page.
- The 420 Founding Fathers. March 30, 2015. By Joe Fitzgerald Rodriguez. "The Waldo’s 420 Flag was created at San Rafael High School in 1971, and is part of their extensive collection of proof that they invented the term 420."
- Noise & Vocalizations of 420 Waldos. Meaning of "eyot" on the 420 flag. A 420waldos.com page.
History of 420 events
1995. Vancouver, Canada
- Vancouver, Canada. 1995 event: The Origins of 420 as a Day of Celebrating Marijuana. . Archive. 2013 article in Cannabis Culture and Huffington Post. Written from a US federal prison by Marc Emery. From the article (emphasis added):
|One day in early March 1995, Danna [Rozek] and Cindy [Lassu] came to me at my desk at HEMP BC, and we had this exchange I remember vividly. Danna said, "Marc, we'd like to have a 'Four-Twenty' celebration on April 20. ..."|
- 20th 4/20 marked with mass light-up at Vancouver Art Gallery plaza. "First rally held in 1995 at Victory Square;". CBC News. April 20, 2014.
Image caption at source of photo below ( ): "Smokeless toke: Using a Toke-O-Matic, Hemp BC store owner Marc Emery, 37, and store manager Danna Rozek, 22, toke up some marijuana at the store. his device which is new, allows smoking of pot without actually inhaling any smoke. The pot is heated inside the bowl until the THC active ingredient releases from the pot. Then it’s inhaled through the hose".
- Wikipedia: Marc Emery. According to Wikipedia Marc Emery was born on February 13, 1958. So he would have become 37 years old on Feb. 13, 1995. So above photo was taken in 1995 or early 1996.
April 13, 2019 post from Marc Emery with above photo: "Me talking at the First annual Vancouver April 20 in 1995 at Victory Square beside Hemp BC. Danna O’Donnell (nee Rozek) was the inspiration for the April 20, 1995 event. It’s a good funny story I like to tell when regaling people about the origins of April 20."
1997. San Francisco, California
- San Francisco, California. 1997 event: The Original 420 Events (in the USA) Took Place in San Francisco. April 17, 2018. By Debby Goldsberry . From the article (Wikipedia links added):
|The remaining members of Sublime wanted to perform in San Francisco on 4/20 in 1997 both as a tribute to their fallen bandmate and to launch their new group, the Long Beach Dub Allstars. CAN was experienced at organizing marijuana-themed events in San Francisco. ... I [Debby Goldsberry] said yes right away to produce the Long Beach Dub Allstars 4/20 show. Now we needed a venue, so I called Boots Hughston, who owned San Francisco’s hippie haven, the Maritime Hall. I remember trying to be discreet about the fact that we wanted to hold a big marijuana event at his venue. But when I asked about renting the Hall on April 20, he replied, “Hell yeah! That’s 4/20.”|
Source of above photo:
- Day One of the 2015 Oregon Medical Marijuana Business Conference is in the Books. September 12, 2015 article.
1997, 1999. Nimbin, Australia
Return to top. Nimbin, Australia.
- The 420 (R)evolution. (and my part in it.) By Max Stone, April 19, 2018. From the article (emphasis added):
|Max Stone, aka GaryBigBong, aka BigBong, aka BB is the man most responsible for the FourTwenties at Mardigrass dating back to 1999 , BB picked 4:20 as the ideal time to 'light up' back in 1997 when he needed to find a time to do a regular live webcam smoking session and BB picked 4:20 because of the 42nessness of 4:20, 42 of course being the answer to the the BIG Question in the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.... What is the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything? If you haven't read the book, you ought. I digress...
Anyway, looping back to the beginning of the 420 Demo, back to the 1999 MardiGrass which set the underground tone that has endured to this day, Max Stone usually high jacks the "Main Mardi Grass Speakers" at 4:15.40 and sounds the 4 minute 20 second "roll up" alert for the 4 20 Demonstration. In 1999 we handed out FREE Marijuana, over 200 all natural - all organic cannabis "space balls" each wrapped with a poem called FREE Marijuana. ...
And so it came to be that in April of the year 2000, on the 20th, at 4:20 in the afternoon, the H*E*M*P Bar started what turned out to be an 8 year and four month long 'live to the web' political demonstration of recreational and medicinal marijuana use....
Above photo posted here on May 10, 2018 on Facebook. It lists people left to right: Simonetta Zigaldo. Ray Manley. No name listed (seated in middle front). Adonia Lyovtzsis. Max Stone.
Early 420 event graphics
See: Category: Flat list of 420 event graphics.
Article discusses the first known public 420 event in the USA in 1997 in San Francisco, California.
Banner below is for an April 20, 1999 event in San Francisco:
Photos and graphics. Flat lists
Flat list. All event graphics and photos. In alphabetical order by city. More flat lists:
Return to top. 2023 GMM-420 and Mirror.
|To Top. Or News. Or Home. Or Articles.|
Full site / Mobile. To Top or End. News & 2022 GMM & Categories.
Cannabis is safer.
See articles: Cannabis is safer.
And: History of US Republican war on cannabis, and their lies about its health effects.
US Republicans &
- Wake up! They want you to be Broke, not Woke. Trickle-down economics.
- Return to top.
US Republicans have led cannabis and drug wars worldwide. All to create 2nd class citizens who are blocked from many educational, job, and voting opportunities. Part of the conservative plan to concentrate wealth in fewer hands worldwide. USA. The state of the nation. After decades of Republican-led drug war, and their filibusters in the Senate.
- US Republican states. It's not just cannabis prohibition. Many maps. It's also their low minimum wages, etc..
- The US federal minimum wage would be $13.46 in 2022 dollars if its real value had remained at the 1968 level. Even more in 2023 dollars. See graph below. Note the low minimum wages in the Republican south in the map below. See Wikipedia: Republican states.
- Wikipedia: List of US states by minimum wage.
- Wikipedia: List of European countries by minimum wage.
Canadians are richer, healthier, and safer than Americans:
- A $15 minimum wage would cost jobs, right? Probably not, economists say.
- There’s More Evidence That Raising the Minimum Wage Won’t Cost Jobs.
- The U.S. has one of the stingiest minimum wage policies of any wealthy nation. Washington Post.
Global warming. Roswell
Return to top. Share link: Roswell UFO.
Roswell UFO craft and alien body retrieval was real according to U.S. Army officer Walter Haut. He signed affidavits to that effect in 1993 and 2002. Released in 2007 after his death in 2005. Video made in 2000. Released in May 2021. Much of the technology has been back engineered, and its carbon-free energy could end global warming. See Stephen Greer video.
Articles about Haut:
17 Aug 2021: “My father saw the bodies”: chasing the truth about Roswell. By James Jennings. Archived here.
5 June 2022: Roswell officer's deathbed confession about theory of alien cover up. By Declan Carey. Archived here.
14 May 2021: Ex-Army officer ADMITS he saw ‘alien the size of a 10-year-old child’ after famous Roswell UFO crash in incredible video. By Emma Parry. Archived here. This article has a short excerpt of the video.
May 2021: Roswell Officer Speaks From the Grave: Video Released, Confesses that Alien was "the size of a 10 year old". By Anthony Bragalia. Archived here. From article (emphasis added): "This video clip is part of a memoir video / oral history over two hours in length that covers many personal and professional aspects of Haut's life. The video was taken at the Roswell Museum in 2000 with friends Dennis Balthaser and Wendy Connors."
September 2007. Haut's Daughter Tells How Affidavit Came to Be. By Julie Schuster (his daughter). MUFON UFO Journal. Issue 473. Page 15. Dec 2002 affidavit is on page 14.
30 June 2007: Roswell officer's amazing deathbed admission raises possibility that aliens DID visit. By Nick Pope. Archived here.
2002 and 1993 affidavits. Archived here. Scroll down for the affidavits.
|To Top. Or Table top. Or News. Or Home. Or Articles.|
Full site / Mobile. To Top or End. News & 2022 GMM & Categories. 2023 GMM-420 and Mirror.