Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|News. - 2018 global events.2017.|
|See: More news. Archive. News sources. Facebook: Global Marijuana March . Hashtags: . Twitter: .
. Bring back democracy: And:
- 1 Top
- 2 2015
- 3 Links
- 4 City info
- 5 Global Marijuana March
- 6 2014
- 7 2013
- 8 2012
- 9 2011
- 10 2010
- 11 2009
- 12 2008
- 13 2007
- 14 2006
- 15 2005
- 16 Cannabis is safer
- 17 Presidents alone can not reschedule it
- 18 USA. Republican-led war on cannabis
- 19 Drug war, mass incarceration, control
- 20 Felon disenfranchisement & gerrymandering
- 21 Republican-led big spending on drug war
- 22 GOP-led spending on endless ground wars
- 23 U.S. infrastructure badly needs this money
- 24 U.S. household debt at all time high
- 25 U.S. middle class wealth has collapsed
- 26 Canadian middle class has surpassed USA
- 27 Many nations surpassed US middle class
- 28 USA. Richest 10% Own 84% of All Stocks
- 29 Republicans refuse to raise minimum wage
- 30 Green love
- 31 Canada has universal healthcare
- 32 Canada has single payer healthcare
- 33 Canadian healthcare costs much less
- 34 Half the cost of Obama-Trumpcare
- 35 USA could save $1.6 trillion YEARLY
- 36 Canada has better health outcomes
- 37 Each 10 million US uninsured equals
- 38 10,000 more deaths yearly. Also:
- 39 10,000 die waiting for disability yearly
- 40 Portugal has universal healthcare
- 41 Portugal decriminalized all drugs
- 42 Portugal has drug treatment for all
- 43 In Portugal few die of overdoses
- 44 Remove Republicans in 2018 vote
- 45 Categories
Share link: City. Local or regional cannabis-related links wanted. See cities by country on GMM map of all cities. See all cities (not just Global Marijuana March). See the yearly city and event lists for additional Facebook and other links.
- Category: Cannabis-related links. For region, nation, state, or province links.
- Canada. Cannabis-related links
- Ontario. Cannabis-related links.
- Find more Facebook and other links on the above-linked pages.
- globalmarijuanamarch.com and globalmarijuanamarch.ca - Toronto Global Marijuana March.
- CALM - Cannabis as Living Medicine - Dispensary Toronto.
- Upcoming Events - Cannabis Culture Forums.
- Google: Toronto marijuana march. Images. Videos.
- YouTube: Toronto marijuana march.
- Budsglobal.com - Cannabis in Toronto | Marijuana in Toronto. See forum, too.
- Toronto Hemp Company
- Treating Yourself Magazine and Expo
- Vape On The Lake
- Google Maps: Toronto.
- Google images: Toronto.
- Wikipedia: Toronto.
- Wikitravel: Toronto.
- Wikivoyage: Toronto.
|Search Wikipedia, Wikitravel, Wikivoyage. See help.|
- WeBeHigh.org - Cities and countries. By U.S. state. And: Google site search.
- MarijuanaTravels.com - Cities and countries. And Google site search.
- Media Awareness Project (MAP). Drug Policy Links: State, province, nation from Area menu. MAP Source Directory: State, province, nation from Area menu. Or A-Z from Source menu. Google search site for news, links, sources. By city, state, province, nation.
- Marijuana Travel Database. Marijuana travel reports. Countries and cities. Marijuana and travel, smoking laws and cannabis legality.
- Marijuana Dispensaries - Leafly.
- Marijuana Dispensary, Smoke Shop and Head Shop Finder.
Global Marijuana March
GMM (years signed up). (The city search of basic city lists will not find 2015, 2016, or 2017 cities since the 2015-17 GMM-420 pages list only countries, and not cities). This city, nation, or subnational area participated or signed up one year (or more) for the Global Marijuana March (GMM), Million Marijuana March (MMM), or 420. Cities and nations holding 4/20 events are also included in later years. 40 nations participated on May 6, 2017, or thereabouts. 41 nations participated on May 7, 2016, or thereabouts. 43 nations participated on May 2, 2015, or thereabouts. 212 cities from 42 nations signed up for May 3, 2014 or thereabouts. 225 cities from 42 nations signed up for May 4, 2013 or thereabouts. 891 different cities have participated from 81 different nations or subnational areas since 1999.
|Global Marijuana March and 4/20 signup.|
See Global Marijuana March (GMM) is the first Saturday in May or thereabouts.The
There are many GMM and 420 Facebook pages organizing cities and countries for GMM and 4/20. Search Facebook and Google+. Find more people, groups, and organizations via the GMM links box (many links in one place), and the GMM links page.
Share link: signup. Invite people to GMM and 420 events: Tag some of your friends in comments on relevant Facebook event messages and images.
- Facebook: Global Marijuana March Toronto Renegades.
- Fusicology Events - 4:20 2013Hotbox 10TH annual 4:20 Bashment !!!!!!!!!!!!
- World's largest marijuana march keeps on growing - Cannabis.ca.
- Photos: world best travel places: Global Marijuana March 2011.
- Toronto Freedom Festival Will Return to Queen's Park. Cannabis Culture Magazine.
- They Marched for Marijuana, Against the Drug War. StoptheDrugWar.org
- 2011 May 7. CTV News article, photos, and video. CTV Toronto - Tens of thousands march in favour of legalizing marijuana. Video for Toronto and some of the other Canadian cities that held 2011 GMM events.
- Facebook photos: 13th Toronto Global Marijuana March.
- Facebook photos: Global Marijuana March 2011.
- Facebook: marijuana march and freedom festival '10.
- Photos: GMM March - 2010.
- Photos: 4th Toronto Freedom Festival Photos By © ANDRÉ M Photography.
- Videos: VIDEO: 2010 Global Marijuana March | Cannabis Culture Magazine. Toronto and Vancouver videos embedded at the top. Followed by videos for other cities worldwide.
Toronto: Nieve tel 416 367-3459 info(at)cannabisweek.ca http://www.TorontoFreedomFestival.com Toronto Global Marijuana March Group PO Box 47023, STN 425, 220 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 2H1 Noon to 6 PM, Queens Park.
- Preview: Global Marijuana March Toronto 2009 | PartyAftermath.com.
- Media report: For the May 2, 2009 event the Toronto Star reported: "Police estimate roughly 12,000 people filled the north lawns of Queen's Park yesterday afternoon, with about 5,000 participating in a 2 p.m. march to decriminalize marijuana." - "High times at Freedom fest". May 3, 2009. By Trish Crawford. Toronto Star.
- Images, videos: cannabisclub.ca forums.
- Photos: CannabisClub.ca • View topic - Marijuana March 2009 Pix.
- Photos: 2009 toronto marijuana march - Flickr: Search.
- Photos: Global Marijuana March toronto Queens park 2009.
- Video: worldtv.com/tff
- Report, photos, videos: Toronto Freedom Festival 2009.
- Facebook: Global Marijuana March 2009.
Toronto: Nieve tel 416 367-3459 info(at) cannabisweek.ca http://www.TorontoFreedomFestival.com
- Facebook: T.F.F. 2008 - A Huge Success!
- Report: Global Marijuana March Hits Toronto: 20,000 Light up.
- Marc Emery at Toronto's Global Marijuana March/Freedom Festival May 3rd.
- Forum: May 3rd, Toronto Marijuana March + Freedom Festival.
- Media: "Pot fans rally in Big Smoke". By Paul Irish. May 4, 2008. Toronto Star.
- Facebook: Global Marijuana March. 2008.
- MySpace: Toronto Global Marijuana March. 2008.
- Media: *"Marijuana march in Toronto draws 20,000". May 5, 2007. Globe and Mail.
- Photos: toronto marijuana march 2007 - Flickr: Search.
- Video search: YouTube - toronto marijuana march 2007.
- Report (from old GMM site):
- Last Year the press reported 12,000. This Year CTV reported 20,000, and CITY TV mentioned doubled attendance than last year, while re-reporting the 12,000 estimate. So 20-25 thousand. Seems about right. However, there will be those who are sure there were 30-40 thousand, and at certain points the crown could have swelled to those levels.
- Marc Emery's Toronto estimates:
- My view, by the military statue, for Toronto was 6,000 - 8,000 at any one time at Queen's Park, 7,000 or so in the march, and possibly 20,000 over the course of 5 hours.
May 4-10 Cannabis Week. May 6 march:
- Photos and forum: Global Marijuana March TORONTO 2006 - SkyscraperCity.
- Photos: Slide shows by calmsandra.
- Photos: Global Marijuana March - a set on Flickr.
- Video: Million Marijuana March.
- Video: Where can I find pot? (documentary).
- Video search: YouTube - toronto marijuana march 2006.
- Report (from old GMM site):
This was year was the 8th annual event for the global marijuana march in Toronto. It has always been peaceful without any arrests. This year we attracted over !!!25,000 people!!!. There were plain clothed police making sure no one was trafficking, and uniformed police simply kept the peace and were courteous and professional. There were no arrests (again) and there were no incidences of violence (again).
The event was billed as a cultural event and everyone had lots of fun with 2 stages, 25 musicians, belly dancer, fire spinners, djembi drummers and only a handful of security guards. There were over 30 booths (stations) from various sponsors across Canada. The hot dog vendor and pizza guy sold out of food.
The organizers this year formed a not-for-profit organization and they worked very successfully with all municipal officials and vendors. The parade through downtown Toronto was about 10,000 people strong, which only gave the marchers a very bad case of the munchies.
Next year can only be bigger - we invite all cities to network with Toronto's event to produce a truly globalizing event.
May 6, 2006 Global Marijuana March. Toronto. Youtube link.
Go to YouTube page. It has song lyrics (click "more info" link on the right). From 50 seconds into the song (repeats at 2 minutes 35 seconds into the song):
"... it's di king of di forest babylon they don like it
they chop it up they heap it up an den dem destroy it
they stick you up they lock you up they take it for a crime
when it's the healin of the nation
bet you neva know
healin of the nation
- Reports, photos: Cannabis culture as part of the sixth Global Million Marijuana March.
Cannabis is safer
|Ronald Reagan, 1980 campaign speech 1: "Leading medical researchers are coming to the conclusion that , whatever you want to call it, is probably , and we haven't begun to find out all of the ill effects, but they are permanent ill effects. The loss of memory for example."|
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
Presidents alone can not reschedule it
- See main article: Presidents alone can not reschedule marijuana.
Neither the president nor the Attorney General can reschedule marijuana by themselves.  . The two of them together also can not do so. See Wikipedia: Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act. See "Process" section.
Since HHS (Health and Human Services) and the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) have again declined to reschedule or deschedule cannabis, then only Congress can do so. But Congress removed help for veterans: . And Congressional committee leaders refuse hearings on CARERS bill to reschedule cannabis. See: Medical Marijuana Advocates Rally to Loosen Restrictions. By Alicia Ault. 23 Mar 2016. Medscape.
- Wikipedia: Drug Enforcement Administration. See "Criticism" section.
- DEA Removes Marijuana Misinformation From Website After Months of Pressure. By Steve Elliott. Feb 13, 2017.
- DEA Pulls Back From Calling Marijuana One Of The 'Most Dangerous Drugs'. By Cody Fenwick. August 16, 2016. Patch Media
- The Science behind the DEA's Long War on Marijuana. 19 April 2016. Scientific American. Unless Congress acts, the DEA has final say on rescheduling or descheduling marijuana.
- Pot Matters: For Legalization, Set Your Sights on the Senate. 23 Mar 2016. By Jon Gettman. "it will be helpful, and indeed crucial, for advancing legalization for Democrats to take control of the Senate." Maybe in 2018?
- FDA Weighs in on Rescheduling Cannabis. By Ben Adlin. 28 Dec 2015. Leafly.
USA. Republican-led war on cannabis
The Cannabis War is over and the U.S. Republican Party has lost. They may not know it yet, so keep marching, lobbying, and voting! Please register and vote! See: Reagan's War on Cannabis. And: Drug war, control, and Republican-led income inequality. And: Alternatives to Republican-led mass incarceration.
New Mexico's Republican governor vetoes a bill that would have allowed medical marijuana for opioid addiction. April 7, 2017. And: New Mexico's Republican governor vetoes the 911 Good Samaritan Overdose Prevention Bill. April 7, 2017. And: Idaho's Republican governor vetoes a broadly-supported asset forfeiture reform bill. April 7, 2017.Jan. 29, 2018. And:
- Missouri's Republican governor signs state law lowering St. Louis minimum wage. . July 3, 2017. And: Iowa's Republican governor signs law overturning local minimum wage increases. March 30, 2017.
Drug war, mass incarceration, control
|See: Drug war, control, and Republican-led income inequality. And: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. And: Drug War, mandatory minimum sentencing, handguns. And: US incarceration peaked in 2008. And: Number of marijuana prisoners in the USA. And: List of countries and U.S. states by incarceration rate.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation b c (except for the tiny country of the Seychelles). Compare incarceration rates worldwide. The cost of the U.S. drug war is at least 1.5 trillion dollars. Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
|A Lot Of People Are Dying At This Understaffed Texas Jail. And: How the Money Bail System Perpetuates America’s Mass Incarceration Problem. 2.3. Jail costs a lot more than unpaid fines. Use community service instead, and save tax money on jail and janitorial work. And: Justice Department blasts ‘unconstitutional’ fixed bail schedules. Many innocent people in jail. And: Many marijuana users in jail without bail money. And: Senator Kamela Harris push for bail reform.|
|Rundle Won't Charge Prison Guards Who Allegedly Boiled Schizophrenic Black Man to Death for 2 Hours in Shower. Death Ruled An Accident. Documents Show They Omitted Key Details. Florida inmate in for cocaine possession. 2345. Due to lack of single-payer universal healthcare the mentally ill end up incarcerated and untreated. Prison costs far more than caring for them to begin with. For their non-violent offenses three-quarters of Americans favor ‘rehabilitation’ over jail time, survey finds. |
Felon disenfranchisement & gerrymandering
Republican-led big spending on drug war
GOP-led spending on endless ground wars
U.S. infrastructure badly needs this money
- America's infrastructure is falling apart — here's a look at how bad things have gotten By Cadie Thompson. Feb. 12, 2018. Business Insider.
- More than 50,000 American bridges are falling apart. Jan. 29, 2018, by Conor Ferguson. NBC News.
U.S. household debt at all time high
Black upward-pointing line is student debt. Cumulative percent increase over time:
U.S. middle class wealth has collapsed
- Income Inequality Is At The Highest Level In American History. By Bryce Covert. July 1, 2016. ThinkProgress. "Incomes for the 99 percent have only recovered about 60 percent of what they lost. But the rich are doing great. ... They captured more than half of all the income growth in the country."
Canadian middle class has surpassed USA
The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest. Canada passes US in middle-class wealth. Median after-tax middle-class income in Canada is higher. . By David Leonhardt and Kevin Quealy. April 22, 2014. New York Times. Why? One reason is that Canadians pay so much less for far better healthcare. And:
Many nations surpassed US middle class
See Median wealth is exactly in the middle. 50% of adults have more, and 50% of adults have less. Wealth is all assets (money, stocks, property, etc.) minus all debts.
Tables - Credit Suisse. Scroll down to XLS links. Download the Complete Wealth per Adult Data by Country for 2016 and 2017 (XLS). This was used to create the table to the right. This is only part of the table. See also: Commons:Convert tables and charts to wiki code or image files. Note that USA is number 24 in median wealth per adult in the table below. Canada is number 13.
USA. Richest 10% Own 84% of All Stocks
- The Richest 10% of Americans Now Own 84% of All Stocks. Dec. 19, 2017. Time (magazine). "The top 10% of American households, as defined by total wealth, now own 84% of all stocks in 2016, according to a recent paper by NYU economist Edward N. Wolff."
- Oxfam: 42 Billionaires Hold As Much Wealth As World’s Poorest 3.7 Billion. By Mary Papenfuss. Jan. 22, 2108. HuffPost.
Republicans refuse to raise minimum wage
- Republicans in several states are lowering the minimum wage — yes, you read that right. By Matthew Sheffield. July 9, 2017. Salon.
- Abortion Rates Dropped Sharply. What Caused It?
- Free birth control under ObamaCare.
- Colorado’s Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success. Free birth control.
|Republicans think they can spend an infinite amount of money on private-health-insurance-company-based healthcare, and have an , to feed their appetite for , and for more inmates for more prisons for|
|Wikipedia: Population milestone babies.|
|As with cannabis legalization Colorado led the way.. More info. 2.3..|
Canada has universal healthcare
Canada has single payer healthcare
- See: Canadian single-payer universal healthcare versus US healthcare. And: End drug war with universal healthcare. And: Canadian single-payer healthcare and Portuguese drug decriminalization.
|USA spent $3.2 trillion on healthcare in 2016. (2.3.4.). Canada spent half as much per person, and got better outcomes. Polls: Americans want single payer, and $1.6 trillion saved yearly. (184.108.40.206.6.)|
Canada has better health outcomes
- See health outcomes info: Canadian single-payer universal healthcare versus US healthcare.
||Life expectancy. 2015||Under-five mortality rate. 2016||Healthcare cost per person. (2). (US dollars. PPP)||Murder rate per 100,000. 2015|
|Canada||82.2 years. (2)||4.9 per 1000 births.||1.7|
|USA||79.3 years. (2)||6.5 per 1000 births.||4.9|
|Murder rate in Canada is lower due to far less handgun ownership.|
Average per capita healthcare cost in above chart includes all costs public and private. No deductibles on basic Canadian health care, and co-pays are extremely low or non-existent. And:
Canada passes US in middle-class wealth. Median after-tax middle-class income in Canada is higher. . Why? Canadians pay so much less for far better healthcare. And:
This massive wasteful healthcare spending in the USA (compared to other rich nations) accelerated in 1980 (see chart below). How? It happened because non-profit health insurance was taken over by for-profit health insurance companies. They get a cut of all wasteful healthcare spending. The more wasteful, the more profits. Such as exorbitant drug pricing, expensive medical devices, overuse of emergency rooms. It is similar to how for-profit prison companies have an incentive to fill more beds, rather than rehabilitate prisoners.
Non-profit health insurance, and single payer healthcare, do not have these perverse incentives. So they tend to use more early preventive care that requires far fewer expensive drugs, devices, and visits to the emergency room and urgent care. Healthcare, like roads, should be publicly financed, and privately built. Private health insurance, like private toll road companies, are a kind of middleman mafia that skims profits, and shuffles papers, but don't actually do any real work.
Chart below shows the percentage of the GDP (national economy) spent on all healthcare costs (public and private) by year for some countries. Note that around 1980 US healthcare costs skyrocketed compared to other rich countries (all of which have universal healthcare, unlike the USA).
Source for above chart: Are any conservatives in the US for a single payer and a universal health care system, or can they not coexist? Chart is from comment around March 11, 2017 by Dan Munro, "author of Casino Healthcare, and Forbes contributor".
Each 10 million US uninsured equals
10,000 more deaths yearly. Also:
- Bernie Sanders' projection of 'thousands' of deaths from lost health coverage is well-supported. By Louis Jacobson. June 27, 2017. Politifact. See article sidebar for many sources. .
10,000 die waiting for disability yearly
- 10,000 people died waiting for a disability decision in the past year. Will he be next? By Terrence McCoy. Nov. 20, 2017. Washington Post. "10,000 people died in the past year while stuck in a backlog of judges’ disability cases. ... they can’t work while they wait if they want to be approved."
With Single-Payer Universal Healthcare people get healthcare no matter how much they work or not. And it doesn't matter if they lose their job, or change employers. People don't have to show they are totally disabled to get adequate healthcare. People can try to work now and then as much as their disability allows them, and not lose their healthcare. And they get drug treatment on demand if their pill use gets out of hand.
Portugal has universal healthcare
Portugal decriminalized all drugs
Portugal has drug treatment for all
- See: Canadian single-payer universal healthcare versus US healthcare. And: Canadian single-payer healthcare and Portuguese drug decriminalization. And:
Portugal has decriminalized all drugs. Like Canada it has universal healthcare. See: Portugal. Cannabis-related links. See: Wikipedia: Drug policy of Portugal and Wikipedia: Health in Portugal. Nearly all of the European Union (EU) has universal healthcare. . See: List of countries with universal health care.
2015 article by Chris Ingraham. Chart below is from the article. As is the quote below:
In 2016 the USA had 185 overdose deaths per million people. <~~ See chart in article, and a similar chart below.
- Overdose stats for the rest of the world.
- Wikipedia charts: Drug-related death statistics. See the upload page.
- Overdose Death Rates. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). Charts.
- These Are the Drugs That Cause the Most Overdose Deaths. Chart.
- Our nation’s drug overdose problem, in five bleak charts.
- How the opioid epidemic became America’s worst drug crisis ever, in 15 maps and charts.
Remove Republicans in 2018 vote
- See also: Republican-led Drug War. And: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. And: Alternatives to Republican-led mass incarceration. And: Cost of Republican-led U.S. drug war. And: Reagan's war on cannabis.And: Drug war, control, and Republican-led income inequality.
When Active-Duty Service Members Struggle To Feed Their Families. April 19, 2017. NPR.
Dec. 19, 2017 article.
|Republican tax bill hurts the poor more than originally thought, Congressional Budget Office finds.||"By 2019, Americans earning less than $30,000 a year would be worse off under the Senate bill, CBO found. By 2021, Americans earning $40,000 or less would be net losers, and by 2027, most people earning less than $75,000 a year would be worse off. On the flip side, millionaires and those earning $100,000 to $500,000 would be big beneficiaries".|
|2 polls: Only 29% of Americans approve of Republican tax plan. 2.|
Dec. 17, 2017. New York Times.
|A or F? How Congress scores on marijuana. 2. By Danielle Keane, NORML political director. 2016. "Of the 233 Democrats in Congress, 208 members (89.3 percent) received a passing grade of a 'C' or higher. Of the 302 Republicans in Congress, 102 members (33.8 percent) received a passing grade of a 'C' or higher." For your state see: Congressional Scorecard. NORML. Grading was based upon members' voting records.|
||Life expectancy (years). 2015||Under-five mortality rate per 1000 live births. 2016||Maternal mortality rate per 100,000 live births. 2015||Per capita expenditure on health. Public and private costs. USD - PPP. 2016||Healthcare costs as a percent of GDP. 2016||% of health costs paid by government. 2016|
|1.||2.||3. 4. 5.||6.||7. 8.||9. 10.|
|See National Public Radio covering this? Why aren't All Things Considered?. Why isn't|
Independents greatly outnumber Democrats or Republicans in the USA. If anti-cannabis Republicans are to be voted out of power, then all Democrat primaries need to be opened to independents. See Wikipedia: Open primaries in the United States. And: Wikipedia: Blanket primary. And: Wikipedia: Nonpartisan blanket primary.
|USA spent $3.2 trillion on healthcare in 2016. (2.3.4.). Canada spent half as much per person, and got better outcomes. Polls: Americans want single payer, and $1.6 trillion saved yearly. (220.127.116.11.6.)|